Sunday, September 23, 2012

Coop-de-Ville (My Hen House)

It took a while but I finally talked Jeff into letting me have three chickens. Of course this meant HE would have to build them a coop !  After searching the internet for ideas, we finally came up with the following design.



With the coop almost done, it was time to get our three hens.  I went to several places and finally picked up 2 silver-laced wyandotte hens about 12 weeks old and 1 red orpington hen of the same age.  These type hens lay medium-large brown eggs. They should start laying when they are 8-9 months old.


A few months later, they are getting really much bigger...........


Unfortunately one of my GIRLS (look at the one to the left) was a wolf in hens clothing because he started to crow and we soon figured out he was a male......

He is so beautiful - but he's gotta go. I want eggs, not chicks !



We found him a new home and from what I've heard he is doing great.  I loved listening to his 'song' every morning but a male isn't going to be laying anything, except maybe the hens..........(Oh, that was bad of me, pretend I didn't say that)

Take care ya'll & we'll see ya down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment